The Basilica is a Catholic church located in the Ragama Tewatta area. This place is also known as the Basilica of Our Lady Ragama. The construction of the church was spearheaded by the Archbishop of Colombo, Cardinal Thomas Cooray. On July 15, 1950, work began on this. The temple, the main altar, the Eucharist, and the lower church are the main features. The relics of the priests and bishops are treasured on the altar of the main altar. There are three tombs in the area known as the Lower Church. In one of these, the Cardinal’s body is deposited. The statue of the Mother of God in the basilica is 7 feet 4 inches high. This place can be described as one of the foremost churches of the Catholic faithful. This church is one of the main attractions for the pilgrims and can be described as a place of worship accessible not only to the Catholics but to anyone.
Access to Basilica of Our Lady Ragama
After 2 km on the Ragama – Kapuwewa road turn left and travel about 1.6 km on the National Basilica Mawatha and about 100 m on the Lankamatha Mawatha.