Let’s Start the Sigiriya Journey – 1st July onward
To prevent COVID-19, follow these 9 steps: Before coming to visit Sigiriya
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose, and eyes
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze with the bend of your elbow or tissue (if you use a tissue, dispose of it immediately in a closed bin and wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer)
- Avoid crowded places
- Practice physical distancing, try to maintain at least 1m distance from others
- Routinely clean and disinfect surfaces
- Stay at home if you don’t feel well (fever and respiratory symptoms)
- If you have symptoms (fever, cough, and difficulty breathing) seek medical care, first by phone
- Keep up-to-date on the latest information from verified sources like MoH and WHO.
Advice to visitors
- Visitors are allowed to view the Sigiriya archaeological site only form 7 am to 7 pm.
- After 7 p.m., visitors are prohibited from remaining within the archaeological reserve area.
- Please do not bring/use polythene/plastic to or in Sigiriya, which is both an archaeological reserve and an environmental sanctuary. Please put all waste items/ garbage into the bins provided.
- The Archaeological Ordinance forbids the actions listed below. Archaeological Ordinance forbids the actions listed below. According to the ordinance, these are punishable offences that carry penalties.
- Harming, removal, carrying away, despoiling and writing on monuments or archaeological objects.
- Harming or removal of plants from the archaeological reserve Do not walk on brick walls, monuments, etc, sit on them or place bags on them. Please note that brick walls round the various gardens are also monuments.
- Do not walk across the lawns in the Gardens area.
- The taking of photographs/videos for commercial purposes should not be attempted without prior permission from the Central Cultural Fund.
- Visitors are advised to behave in a disciplined manner within the site. Playing musical instruments, the use of loudspeakers, radios, and the consumption of liquor should be completely avoided. The Lion’s Paw Terrace contains nests of hornets. Throwing objects at these nests, making a loud noise, etc. should be completely avoided. Please note that the actions mentioned above, rouse the hornets, provoking an attack.
- Partaking of food should be done in places suitable for the purpose.
Central Cultural Fund
Central Cultural Fund
Sigiriya Project Office
Tel-+94662286945 / +94662286947 Fax-0662286945